In Defense Of Bleach

The Harsh Household Staple Might Be Making A Comeback

The COVID-19 pandemic has the world taking a second look at how we think about and do so many things. Among those, cleaning is undoubtedly one of the most critical practices to consider at this time. Household bleach, perhaps, has gotten a bad rap as the world scrambles to salvage whatever disinfecting agents are available. That being said, the noble recent trend toward using all-natural solutions might take a temporary hiatus in favor of an old school approach to cleaning. While natural cleaners like vinegar and lemon juice do affect bacteria populations, they cannot be considered disinfectants, according to research.

It is true that the acids in  vinegar and lemon juice work as an antimicrobial and can inhibit the growth of harmful bacteria. But these natural solutions are not strong enough to truly kill harmful microorganisms. So while it may be attractive to try for a green cleaning experience, it might be prudent to swap for traditional products like good old-fashioned bleach for the time being.

Bleach became almost a dirty work with reports of it being harmful to our health, especially  families with small children and pets. The unprecedented circumstances upon us, call for us to change, even if that means looking back to see where we came from. In the midst of the pandemic that is upon us, it’s time to give this old tried and true household staple a second chance. If used safely and properly, bleach can  

For those of you in the green camp, no one is saying that all-natural products don’t have their merits. But unfortunately, some of the greener methods fall short when it comes to disinfecting for viruses like COVID-19. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the U.S. Department of Agriculture both recommend using bleach to disinfect surfaces, cleaning them first with soap and water before applying your solution.

Here’s How:

First A la Maid recommends using a hospital grade microfiber to dry wipe the area first. 

Next, wash surfaces thoroughly with soap or detergent and water, then dry.

Thirdly, mix a solution of 1 tablespoon of unscented, liquid chlorine bleach into one gallon of water.

In order for this process to be effective, allow all treated surfaces to remain wet for a few minutes before drying. Read all product labels for guidance. 

Surfaces that are used for food preparation and porous surfaces should be cleaned after disinfecting as bleach and other disinfectant products are toxic if ingested.